Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bell Ringing and a Boring Blog



As I write there is constant bell ringing going on outside. My classmate Emma tells me that where she lives, here in Dublin, Sundays are a nightmare, with both St. Patrick's and Christchurch engaging in furious campanological battles. I know this fancy word because in the course of our conversation someone remarked that there was a fancy name for bell-ringers, and I tried to find the answer on the internet. I searched through a number of amazingly dull web-sites about bell ringing, but for some reason, I couldn't find that elusive fancy term.

Then, seemingly divinely inspired by the bells outside, Tony went over to the phone and made a call. Tony often indulges in mindless chatter, so I wasn't paying much attention, but sure enough, when he'd finished the call, he had the word. Campanologist. Fantastic.

But who did Tony ring to get the information? Or rather, why did he have to pretend to make a phone call to an outside source in the first place? Why not come clean about his interest in bell-ringing, surely a fine wholesome pastime for any young man? Apparently the church has decided to increase the length and frequency of their bell ringing to try and draw people back into the church. Perhaps when we complained about the incessant chimes, Tony's fear of a backlash led him to perform this embarrasing charade.

Did he think we would make fun of him for not being 'hip'?

Who knows? Poor Tony.

Anyhow, in the course of my internet search of bell-ringing I came across the dullest blog in the world (nothing related to campanology). It really is dull. Amusingly so. I've also posted a link to another blog by the same author which I found quite funny.

4 comments:

Dave Walker said...

Thanks for your kind comments - glad you enjoyed the sites.

John Higgins said...

I found your no nonsense boring approach to blogging refreshing. Aren't we all tired of reading blogs which seem vaguely interesting at first, and then become increasingly dull as you read on? It made a nice change to find a blog which set out to bore the pants off me right from the beginning, no messing around.

Tony said...

ESMERALDA!!!!

THE BELLS!!

THE BELLS!!

John Higgins said...

Of course my comments referr to the 'Dullest blog in the world'.I just looked at your profile and realized you don't have it listed among your blogs, so you or anyone else ever actually reads this, they may be confused. The 'Cartoon Blog' is really funny and the cartoons are great! (Don't worry, I'll stop slapping your back now)